2023-01-10

Mini Project #1.

Before the NanoVNAs became widely available it was tricky to find low cost test equipment for testing SWR or return loss in the low GHz range. 

At the time I did find one possibility: The transverter-store in Ukraine sold some low cost impedance bridge PCBs, so I got myself one.

The PCB bridge circuitry looks like this:


Looking at a Youtube video I found that the PCB has a fault. The bridge has 2 50Ohm resistances, made up by two 50Ohm resistors that should be connected in parallel. On the PCB he tested, and on mine, this is not the case. No connection between 2x two islands on one side of each pair.

Now, this is not difficult to correct. A short piece of wire  mounted at the junctions between the resistor pairs solve this.


A quick test using my NanoVNA 2 showed a shortcoming of the NanoVNA output level (too low), but also gave an indication of the functioning of the bridge.

With a 6dB attenuator as the DUT (Device Under Test) the return loss showed close to 12dB, as it should.

Testing a 10dB attenuator the same way showed that the return loss went down into the noise of the NanoVNA. Close enough to 20dB, so I accept the reading as correct, and that the bridge is working properly.

That is the end of mini project #1 of this year.

Will I use this bridge a lot? Not really, but I did want it to be in working order. It is now going into the test PCB pile as a working unit.

The NanoVNAs that came out after this are much easier yo use, and much more versatile. The cost is not prohibitive, so in the lab I will be using a NanoVNA F (I think is the designation) for frequencies up to 1GHz, and a NanoVNA v2 for up to 4GHz.

No comments: