2023-01-23

Mini Project #4. 4 El. Yagi For 2m.

 A while ago I purchased the Flexa Yagi 4 element antenna for 2m. 

At the time I purchased it I did not have sufficient strength in the fingers, and  the precision to do the job, due to having chemo therapy. That is now much less of a problem, though there are some side effects of that left over. Yes, I did not ask for assistance, as I like to do most of my stuff myself.

This one is designed for being mounted in front of the mast, so the mast would be behind the reflector. This allows the antenna to be mounted for horizontal or in the vertical polarization.

Another advantage is that this antenna has very thin steel elements, so only the boom is clearly visible from the ground. This is part of my low-visibility antenna system.

For my use I have mounted the mast clamp between the reflector and the feed element.

The FX 205V has a claimed gain of 7.6dBd. That may be a bit on the high side, but let us estimate the gain to be above 6dBd, and I will be satisfied.

I have used a "Big Wheel" or "Clover leaf" omnidirectional antenna for a while. It has been mounted right in the to of an apple tree, and I did make a bit of DX on 2m with that one. Ukraine was one of them.

In order to get the full benefit of this antenna I need to mount it on a rotator. That will not happen until the weather is much better, some time in the spring. When that happens, the small Yagi will likely be mounted 2-3m higher than the clover leaf antenna, and due to the height difference and the fact that the Yagi will be in the clear, I would expect signals to improve significantly on 2m, probably in the order of 10dB.

What next?

Maybe the 23cm Flexa Yagi I have had lying in the box for quite a while Then it will be ready, even if I cannot mount it yet.

No comments: