2023-01-09

The Sun Is at it Again. X2 Flare.

 Some "new" (actually old, but recurring) sunspot groups just rotated into view of Earth.

3 days ago one of them fired a flare of magnitude X1, and minutes ago the sun fired again. This time X2 - well strictly speaking X1.98, but I made the rounding-up. This is bound to create a sudden Ionospheric Disturbance (short wave fade-out) on the day side of Earth, and it will likely las a little less than an hour.

Also the 21cm solar flux is at 184 today. If this continues for several days more I suspect that there is a good possibility of F2 openings on 6m. 

I will be aware and monitor the situation.

2 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

I saw SM4KYN worked TN8K on 6m FT8 today. I suspect it was multihop ES, although it could be F2 as well? Certainly interesting. Should I keep an 6m into the tower next winter?? 73, Bas

Jan, OZ9QV said...

Bas, I think that is a very good idea.
I will follow the development of Cycle 25 closely, and I suspect it will exceed the previous one by a large margin. I would expect next autumn/winter/spring to be very exciting on 6m.
Of course all depends on how the cycle develops, but I am optimistic.
From older cycles, it looks like high solar peaks are shorter, and low ones are somewhat longer.
Of course, there are no guarantees.
73, Jan