2023-01-20

Mini(?) Project #3. Ten-Tec PM2B.

After finishing the IC910 mod, here is the next mini project. This may be more than just a small one.

For a very low price I purchased two low pass filters (30MHz) and a non-tested Ten-Tec PM2B, so I do expect to have some activity before it is fully functional.

This is an old CW only QRP transceiver, officially with 1 or 2W out, and with a direct conversion receiver. The rig covers the 80, 40 and 20m bands

After cleaning the AF potentiometer and some slide switches I got it to draw about 30mA from a 14V power supply. The headphone output showed some noise, variable with the pot. It looks like the headphone output is high impedance. It does use banana plugs, not even a mini jack connector. Yes, this is very old.

With an external SSB receiver I found that the local oscillator is working and can be tuned correctly.

No external signal received yet.

No transmit output detected.

Also I have no documentation, not even a circuit diagram

It does indeed look like there is more work to do with this one

Looking into the casing I was not impressed with the build quality, with long flimsy wires running around, and it looks like it has been messed up somewhat.

This might end up being a larger project, essentially building a modernized version of a direct conversion CW transceiver with a digital VFO, and maybe with additional bands. We shall see what I do with this one.

If I do a total make-over I may add some shielding to the sides of the transceiver, as they are totally non-shielded.

No comments: