2019-06-14

One 10m Antenna With Multiple Receivers.

Some time ago I made a modification to my IC-703. It was a RX antenna adapter, originally made for the IC-7300.
It was possible to fit it into the IC-703, albeit with a bit of extra work: I had to file a bit of the adapter's plates an a bit in the radio casing, but it looks acceptable to me.
For a while I only had it connected to loop back the receiver signal, but this week I connected a signal splitter, so it is possible to connect more receivers in a way that does not destroy the receivers when I transmit with the radio.
Yes, when I transmit, I cannot receive anything on the 10m antenna, but I consider that an acceptable compromise. Further, it is possible to use a more complex system, so a transverter could be connected to the transceiver, too.
A TX power amplifier I have, I can connect it to the RX part/common connector, so I can transmit up to 200-250W with that combination

This is how the system looks right now:

10m vertical --- IC-703 ---                               !--- IC-703 RX input
                                         !                             !
                                         !                             !--- RX monitoring 28.074 (FT8)
                                         --- Signal Splitter --
                                                                       !
                                                                       !--- RX monitoring the international beacon project
                                                                             on 28.200

The splitter has more outputs
At the moment the signal splitter is just hanging next to the TRX, but it is the intention to build a casing for the system, so a preamplifier (attenuation in the splitter is too high for some of my receivers) and a switch for transverter or separate RX antenna can be added. For now, the system just has to work as it is, as well as possible. Improvements can come later, after other projects have been done, at least in part.

I would like to have a similar system for the higher bands (6-4-2m and 70cm), but that will have to wait.