2019-06-15

10GHz Reception: Terrestrial Mode: Rain Scatter

As you may know, I have been listening to the QO-100 satellite downlink on 10GHz for a while.
At the moment some heavy rain showers are approaching my area. I tried to re-tune my receiver to
the terrestrial narrow band segment of the band.
Nothing heard around 10368.100 yet, but the nearest beacon, OZ7IGY on 10368.920 about 26km from here, with no line of sight, has been heard for 1/2 to 1 hour here.
The propagation mode is known as "rain scatter", something that can happen when the signals pass via heavy rain showers with rather large rain drops.
further, a weaker signal from about 30km away is also being heard, albeit weaker OZ9GHZ in a somewhat different direction.

The rain scatter signals have a significant Doppler spread, and a bit of Doppler shift, and sound like something I got used to many years ago: Aurora signals.

This is my first reception of terrestrial signals on 10GHz, so something of a mile stone for me.

This makes me want to get to transmit on 10GHz narrow band (as well as wideband), even if it is with a small station. It should be possible to build something with my current components/modules, running up to about 500mW, maybe 1W. For more power I will need to purchase modules or better components. The main problem will be mechanical construction and weather proofing.

No comments: