2020-05-27

Sporadic E on 2 Meters

Yesterday and today I experienced Es on 2m for the first time this year.

In the morning of yesterday I detected an opening, but only after looking at my FT8 PSK-reporter map.
There was a solid signal from the Ukraine and a weak one from UA6, just East of the Black Sea.

Then, today the following appeared, almost while I looked at WSJT-X:
1016 RT3G   KO92up
1028 RK2T   KO93ad
Both were in the -15 - -20dB range, so quite weak, but they were there, none the less.

The past week there have been substantial Es openings on 28, 50 and 70MHz, but I did not detect anything on 2m until yesterday. Also, today Russian FM stations were there aplenty on 70MHz.
A few days ago I detected signals on 50MHz from Japan. No North America on 6m yet.
The season has really started. Interesting to see what this year's season will provide.

No comments: