2019-05-31

Vaguely 10GHz Related: Leaking Alkaline Batteries.

How is leaking alkaline batteries in any way related to 10GHz?, you may ask.

Here goes :

For my wideband 10GHz experiments I need a portable receiver. For the initial experiments I plan to use a portable scanner capable of receiving the IF from a LNB, and it needs to be wideband FM capable.
My old AOR AR-8200 is such a beast, and it has been lying with old batteries for a while, so the battery casing was full of leaked potassium hydroxide - nasty stuff. What to do? Of course, googling a bit does help, and I found that using vinegar should neutralize and make the residue removable, so I tried. Indeed, that helped, but vinegar is somewhat acidic, so in order to avoid further corrosion it has to be washed. The idea is to start with isopropyl-alcohol, then demineralized water, and then let it dry.

I did test that the radio worked with an external power supply, and it is alive, indeed. The best thing about the AR-8200 is that it also receives SSB, so tests can be made with narrow band reception in the field, too.

Next:
I have an old ICOM R3, only AM-FM-WFM capable with a totally dead battery pack. That one has a different power connector to the other radios I have - and runs on 6V only, so I have not yet tested if it is alive.
I hope so, because then I can set up two receivers on 10GHz, and make a WBFM transmitter or two, testing the range of the HB100 module, and possibly make a two-way QSO on 10GHz with those.

You may say that I could "just" use a standard FM receiver, but that requires a second converter after the LNB, and I want to start the simplest possible way. The other way would be using the HB100 module as down converter, but then the sensitivity will suffer in a significant way, probably about 20 dB worse, maybe more, than the LNB system, thereby reducing the possible range, by a lot.

Well, in any case, with a set-up of a single modulated HB100 transmitter and the LNB receive system, I can, at least, test the range of the HB100 module as it is.

Well here is to getting the AR-8200 cleaned and ready for action, and getting a modulator made for the HB100.

No comments: