2019-05-28

Idea Box: 24 GHz Spectrum Viewing ?

A few weeks ago I tried the use of a TV LNB for seeing 10GHz signals, see this post.

Now, if I want to see something on 24GHz, what do I do?

I have ordered some 24GHz Doppler radar modules, and they are a bit like the HB100 (10GHz) modules. They have a simple resonator, so very unstable, so probably not very useable, also because they operate too close to (or in the) the 24GHz band.

There may be the possibility of using a frequency doubled 11-12GHz signal source which would be more stable, and then use the 24GHz module as a down converter mixer circuit, followed by a wideband amplifier.
It *should* be possible to take the output of a modified HB100 module, maybe grinding the dielectric resonator a bit for frequency adjustment. This will have to be tested, but it is probably worth trying.

The main purpose is getting an indication of how the spectrum looks like, not a detailed measurement, just like when I was using the TV satellite LNB as down converter.

How to make a frequency doubler for these frequencies - in the most simple way, I will have to look into that.

The 24GHz modules have been ordered from China, so it will take a while to get here. (I am still waiting for some 2.4GHz filters to arrive, they were ordered several weeks ago.

So many ideas, so little time.

No comments: