2019-04-06

IC-703 Modification.

For the first time in almost 2 years I have been traveling (more than about 100km from my home) for a bit less than 2 weeks, and I am back now. This was a non-radio-related round trip From my home near Copenhagen through Northern Germany, The Netherlands and Belgium, then to Paris. On the way back via Köln (Cologne). Last year I spent getting rid of a colon cancer, and I am now free of it, just going to control visits every few months.

Today I modified my old IC-703 for receive output/input. Will likely use that TRX for 10m with aux RXs for 10/11/12m propagation monitoring, using the TRX with the 10m PA running about 200 - 250W CW or about 150W FT8. Should work nicely.

Why do a modification like that ?
Well I wanted to be able to add some kind of spectrum/waterfall display, and possibly use the same antenna with several monitor receivers, e.g. beacon watch, FT8 watch etc.

I was using a kit purchased for doing the trick on a IC-7300, but decided to try it with this one first.
The mod took a bit of filing off the outward side of the new adapter and filing a bit of the bottom cover, and removing the connector for the external ATU control. The external control is not necessary as long as the built-in tuner works (or is not needed at all).
It now fits nicely into the casing.
System check of the RX shows that it is working nicely in through-mode.

It is likely that the modulation circuit will need an equalizer, because the reports on the modulation are not good enough. Initially, I will check the adjustment of BFO and SSB filters.

Second use for this low power TRX could be driving a transverter to 4m, including RX output for AUX RXs, such as spectrum waterfall.

No comments: