2021-08-23

Update of "Shack Corner". Mostly Operational Again.

First stage of the "shack corner" update is done. 

I can now slide the desktop plate in and out, so I can get better access to radios and cables behind the radios. The plate itself is 200x60cm, but part of it slides between shelves, so I have about 140x60cm of desktop available.

The shack computer, a Raspberry Pi 4 (8GB RAM) is set up with a 1080p monitor, so I have the log program running again. The log program is, at the moment, storing all (digitally entered) logs, with the exception of the log for QO-100. The log program cannot yet handle that.

There will be more computing there, I want to get some FT8 monitoring up and running again, on different bands. Some more Raspberry Pi's are available for this, and I expect (long term) to be running those remote controlled from the main computer/screen (if the Raspi4/8GB can handle the load).

The QO-100 setup is up and running again, including a manipulator keyer connected to the radio, so I can run SSB/CW on the satellite.

Newly built: Long ago I had made my own memory keyer, capable of being programmed from a straight key. It had several switching arrangements, but it is 40 years old, so I pulled out the electronics of it and just connected a few of the toggle switches. The switch box can now handle 4 radios - one at a time, using 3 toggle switches. In addition, the switch box has 2 inputs in parallel, one for the memory keyer, and one for a straight key. I have a Swedish Key that works very nicely for hand keying.

I got some cables made, and 4 radios are connected:

- IC-7600 connected to the 6m part of my 6/2/70 vertical (V-2000) and my R-6000 for 10/12/15/17/20m.

- IC-7300 connected to my low hanging multi-dipole, runnnig 80/40/20/15/10/6/4m. Not very good on 6 and 4, but a poor antenna is better than none.

- IC-7100 connected to a power amplifier and the 2m Big Wheel antenna.

- IC-703 connected to a 10m vertical.

The HF PA is up on the shelves again, but still needs to be connected - I am still considering which radio to connect ...

Receive antennas and receivers still need to be connected, but it is good to be able to operate again, and to have the soldering iron in use again.


No comments: