2021-10-07

Outdated Computers - Spare Parts?

Over time I have collected a bunch of old laptop computers, all too old to run just about anything remotely modern, even decent Linux distributions.

So what to do with this? 

One of the older laptops has 2GB memory and a Pentium 4 (2.4GHz), I could probably run a Windows XP with some "Windows only" programs that I still want to use, e.g. the control program for the 35 - 4400MHz signal generator, some spectrum analyzer software etc, possibly WSJT or QRSS software.

The processors of those old laptops simply don't run fast enough, and the RAM is too low to run any modern applications, so that is really useless. 

What else can be used of such old laptops? 

Batteries can always be disassembled, and the cells used for rechargeable battery packs, providing that the cells have not died. Some testing of their capacity will be needed.

Old hard disks should be checked for usable information on them, and backed up. Really old ones, i.e. used PATA disks should probably be discarded and disassembled for parts. (Stepper motors and magnets come to mind, maybe a few more items.)

From the main boards a few components could be of interest as spare parts. Switch transistors, possibly some capacitors or inductors for the switch mode circuits.

A few modules, such as WiFi modules could possibly be used elsewhere

I would save some small speakers from laptops.

One thing seems quite useful: The laptop screens. With an interface they should be useful for some Raspberry Pi projects. I have a few from old netbook PCs with only 1024x600, a 800x480, and one 1366x768 screen from a recently disassembled defective machine.

With all the propagation monitoring I want to do those screens should prove useful in the shack, and in the lab.

Right now I have two dead Asus machines (one with dual core i5 and one with quad core i7). absolutely nothing happens when the (19V) power supply is connected, and the PS is working. From the description of other faulty laptops etc I suspect one or two defective switch transistors, as I have have had some power cuts with possible transient voltages. Here the disassembled old laptop main boards might provide spare parts. If not I should try to get some replacements.

Fault finding and repair is something I have not done a lot of, but learning something new is always of interest, especially if I can get some useful equipment up and running again. Yes, I have had the tendency to just buy new (or good used) stuff, but the stock is quite high now, so I should get to use more of what I have.

Additionally, I have some very old - and very large/heavy - test equipment. I have got some new and smaller equipment, so the really old/heavy stuff, like an ancient 1.7 - 4GHz signal generator with a **klystron** is not too useful. Very heavy and bulky, and unstable. The new ADF4351 based generator is much better and takes up a fraction of the space. Any useful parts from the generator, like the attenuator(s), will, of course, be salvaged, as they are useful in the lab. 

So this is an effort combining tidying the lab, making space and improving my test equipment, all while I am building some ham radio projects. Absolutely no time to be bored (what is "bored?)

Especially the lab is in an attic with essentially no useful vertical walls, so space is at a premium. Also, while the newer/smaller test equipment is not of professional standard, it will work nicely for my amateur use.

No comments: