2018-10-10

2m FT8 Up and Running

This morning I detected tropo (which was probably already there last night) on 2m FT8. Just heard the signals audible, and there was a lot.
Now was the time to get a computer connected, and set up. The tiny netbook was connected and showed good signals from the East and South-East.
Time to increase power from the about 8W. An old Tono MR 150W PA was connected, and measured about 80W output, providing about 40W to my Big Wheel omnidirectional antenna, running it quietly until the bigger one arrives in a few weeks.

I was a bit late to join the party, but I am now more ready than before to join again.

Best signals heard were UT2VR and R5WM at 1550 - 1600km. Not too bad for a small omnidirectional antenna.
It is not likely that I can get a much better antenna up before spring, so I will try to work a bit of tropo in the winter season, and see what I can do with that antenna and 40W, later about 300W at the antenna, running a bit of CW/SSB, but probably more FT8.

Update : Tropo again tonight. ODX with FT8 (2-way) UR3EE in KN88dc, 1840km. Not bad with a Big Wheel antenna.

No comments: