2024-01-22

10GHz Transverter, Continued.

 In the autumn/fall last year I was out making a receive test of a 10GHz transverter briefly described a few days ago in the previous post. 

When I should have had a signal from the OZ7IGY beacon about 25km away, there was ... nothing.

I started the fault finding with a measurement of the LO module, and it did look pretty good. So Now the down converter should be tested.

I located a signal generator (low cost Chinese circuit with the ADF 5351 synthesizer. As the signal generator has a fixed output, I made a small loop for 10GHz, soldered to a low cost (chassis) SMA connector. Measure on the spectrum analyzer (with built-in frequency counter the signal generator seemed to stay within a few 100 Hz, with a fixed offset of about 10kHz. Good enough for a first test.

Power up the transverter with 12.5V, the IF connected to a Malahit DSP2 SDR set to 144MHz, and let the system warm up a bit. The 12.5V was about what the battery delivered at the test. 
It sounded absolutely dirty, with some irregular jumps in frequency.

Where was the instability? I tried connecting the FT-290 and it was the same. Apparently I could eliminat the possibilty of the Malahit going faulty. Now remains the LO of the transverter or the signal generator.

Next test was, let us see what happens if the supply voltage is increased.

Bingo. at 13.5V the LO apparently jumped to the correct frequency (well, about 3kHz low) and stayed there, the tone sounds good, all the dirt gone from the audio, and the sensitivity looked much better. You may laugh, I don't mind, because I foind the fault.

Connecting back to the Malahit SDR, and it looked good.

The Chinese signal generator, though has a rather noise output. Good enough to test the system, but the phase noise is atrocious, only about 10-20dB below the carrier. I heard that a ham not too far away has made some modifications, and I will look into that.

So what to do when I do go out into the field? I need 13.5V and the battery delivers only 12.5V. Too low for a good function.

I think I will try first with a different battery and a DC/DC converter. I know that the DC needs extra filtering, but it should be usable for the first field tests. Next step: check the TX function.

No comments: