2021-07-09

2m Sporadic E, and a Transatlantic Opening on 6m.

 The late afternoon today had a nice Es opening on 2m. Stations received were EA1. EA3, EA6 and IS0.

I managed a single QSO with EA6SA, and I was called by another EA6, but no complete QSO.

All with my omnidirectional "Big Wheel" antenna, so I am not complaining at all.

After finishing reading a book I noticed that the 6m band was open to North America. While I did not work any of the stations with my limited power, 80W into an omnidirectional vertical, the Diamond 3-band antenna "V2000", A lot of stations from Florida and Texas in the South to Wisconsin and further East in the North.

I really need a better antenna for 6m, one that can take the power from a power amplifier. I do have one, but it has been put away for the time being, because the antenna is only rated to 150W, and I do not want to lose it.

All in all a very interesting day of sporadic E.

Here is a thought. When looking at my logs through the years, there is a tendency to have 2m Es openings  at my place more often around two sets of dates, about 8th - 10th June and 8th - 10th July. This could be a coincidence, but it does coincide with meteor showers at those dates, so who knows? I do not.

I am well aware that the cause of sporadic E has many other (unknown) factors, but it is a thought I have had for some time.

No comments: