2021-04-29

The Small Loop RX Antenna Adventure Continues.

Slightly updated.

 This is another attempt to achieve a good receive antenna system for monitoring different frequencies in as many (ham) bands as possible.

Stage one was the experiment with the Mini-Whip described in recent posts.

The active Mini-Whip did provide some decent to good reception on frequencies ranging from 16kHz up to 18MHz.

Not bad for such a small antenna.

Now the experiments have started for a small passive wideband loop antenna. The main idea is not new (at least 60 years old), but there has been a resurgence of interest since SDRs with good sensitivity and with reception capability on VLF have started becoming available at reasonable prices.

Looking at the "YouLoop" antenna made for use with the Air-Spy SDR I decided to look into this. 

This is in essence a "Moebius Loop" type antenna, a design invented in the 1960s, as far as I know. A version is available at the well known auction site, so I took the lazy way and purchased one, just to see what all the fuss was about.

This is the initial result of a quick comparison of the Mini-Whip and the YouLoop:

First I want to point out that the YouLoop as purchased is not suitable for outdoor use - no waterproofing.

This means that the Mini-Whip is mounted outdoors in one of the least noisy places I could find in my garden, furthest from houses, mine or neighbours' houses, and the YouLoop was hung inside the house, in the noise field.

Because the Mini-Whip is active the signal level is much higher than from the small loop. However, whereas some signals were audible with the active Mini-Whip and too weak to be heard on the loop, others were swamped in noise on the Mini-Whip and weaker, but clear with the loop. 

I am aware that the loop might benefit from a sensitive preamplifier, especially on low frequencies and with low sensitivity receivers. This I need to test.

Signals on the loop were a bit weak and noisy on medium wave, and somewhat comparable in S/N to the Mini-Whip on 1.8 to 10MHz. Above this the loop did not increase the receiver's noise when connected, indicating either insufficient sensitivity of the receiver (possible) or simply a too low output of the loop. MW was full of rather strong signals with the Mini-Whip, and considerable weaker (and more noisy) signals came from the loop.

I suspect that a low noise preamplifier at the loop will improve this, especially if a long cable is used. Oh, darn! more projects ;)

Having seen the results I decided to make my own (weather proofed) version of the loop. I already had some hula-hoops (yes the children's toy ones) stored and found a few of them. The first test will be a loop of similar size to the original "YouLoop" (My YouLoop clone). Using two lengths of RG-58 soldered together crossing the shield and inner conductor at the top of the loop, feeding the inner conductors at the bottom to a 1:1 transformer (type 73 binocular ferrite core), and connecting the shields together at the bottom. Here is a description already made, so I will not repeat everything. I will report back when the test has been done

I will have to check whether or not a connection of the feed cable shield to the common shield is beneficial wrt noise performance. I suspect it will be.

I have two more (larger) hula-hoops, so I intend to test a larger (2.5x or so) version of the loop for getting higher signal strength.

The loop antennas do have another advantage over the Mini-Whip: They are directional and have a null, making it possible to reduce interference/noise by turning the loop. For now I intend to use both the Mini-Whip and loop antenna, and switch between them to get the best possible S/N on a given signal.

Using separate receive antennas is beginning to take shape, and with the addition of a distribution system,  preselector/filters/amplifiers a decent propagation monitoring system, such as FT8/WSPR and/or beacon/QRSS monitoring.

No comments: