2021-04-12

Another Receiver on the Mini-Whip. VLF Reception.

 For a few days I was using my old FRG-100 with the Mini-Whip. The receiver appears to have a rather wide IF filter, meaning that I could hear a carrier all the way through zero-beat (part of the other sideband audible) Not good for listening to AM signals.

Also the lowest frequency I can receive with the FRG-100 is 130kHz. I would like to listen to lower frequencies.

Enter an old AOR AR-7030 I have. I think, according to the specification, the receiver covers 30kHz to 32MHz. Very nice, even if I wanted to test it on a lower frequency. Actually, the AOR frequency dial goes right down to 0kHz. Well not really. on the very lowest frequencies it is totally deaf (no surprise).

Tuning upwards with the Mini-Whip connected the noise starts coming up around 10 - 12kHz. Now it gets interesting. The lowest frequency signal I could receive (until now) is on 16kHz (origin unknown). This means that I should be able to receive the SAQ transmitter from Grimeton, Sweden, next time it has a transmission.

Further, the filters in the AR-7030 are clearly better than those in the FRG. Mounted in this RX are IF  filters with bandwidths from 2.1kHz up to 9.5kHz, in several steps, and also tone controls for bass/treble. There are even better filters in my transceivers, but those have a lower frequency limit of 30kHz or more.

Never the less, VLF signals from as far away as Grindavik, Iceland on 37.5kHz were heard in the day time. Strictly speaking not VLF, but definitely a nice reception. This is a data signal that I did not attempt to decode.

The station in Cutler, Maine (US) was not audible with this set-up, but then again, the antenna is not yet optimized for lowest local noise level. The weather and other activities have been in the way of connecting a ground connection to the antenna. and other steps.

Tuning up through the band, all the way up to 518kHz NAVTEX frequency I now come across a lot of signals. In particular I now hear more NDBs (non-directional beacons used for navigation) in the 300 - 500kHz range, along with other signals of unknown origin (to me at least)

One surprise was a signal on 505kHz:

OK0EMW in JN88ks running CW identification (with Locator) and some QRSS, too.

This must be a remnant of the activity that was allowed on experimental basis on the "old" 500kHz band. I was not aware that there was any activity there any more. Apparently the (QRSS) etc beacon was allowed there those years ago, and the permission has not been revoked.

There is much more to do regarding MF, LF and VLF reception. One thing is to test if I can really hear the SAQ transmission next time it will be active.

Another test should be using my IC-7600 for reception on LF/MF. With the much better (DSP IF) filters reception of many more NDBs and other signal should be possible. There is a lot of noise in that part of the band, so every improvement of the receive side will count. Also, a set-up with a low frequency SDR should be done. The first SDR experiment should be with the RTL-SDR in direct sampling mode, then maybe later I will get a more suitable SDR, also for those frequencies

For the lowest frequencies a test with a computer sound card should make reception up to 24kHz possible, maybe even up to 48kHz with 96kHz sampling.

No comments: