2018-10-26

Nightly monitoring of 40m FT8

Last night I was monitoring the 40m FT8 frequency with my low hanging 5 band dipole.
This morning the PSK reporter showed spots from six continents, and lots of them.
In fact, all the six continents were reported in less than an hour around midnight local time. Also, some 80m work was done.

Activity from different areas can be seen clearly, there were even a lot of spots from New Zealand, about as far from me as can be on this earth.

During some of the monitoring session I tested my dipole against my home made low band antenna, and the findings were :
80m with dipole : The low hanging (feed point at about 4m above ground close to trees) was indeed quite good at reception S/N, but had a poor TX S/N.
80m with low band antenna : The low band antenna is quite noisy and has a poor RX S/N, but a considerable better S/N at TX.
40m with dipole : This worked considerably better at both transmit and receive, though not ideal, of course. Just looking at the RX reports from so many places tells me that. 40m was not tested with the low band antenna this time. More testing is required.
This morning TF5B was worked on 40m.

15m was worked a bit this morning, with a Chinese and a Malaysian station as resulting QSOs.

All in all not a bad night/morning at OZ9QV.

Winter time is low band time, so I expect to be a bit more active on 160 - 30m this winter. Ptobably mostly with FT8, but maybe a bit of QRP CW short distance work, too.

No comments: