2022-10-09

29.6 MHz FM Monitoring Now Included on Solar Power.

 Today I located an old CB transceiver for FM, modified for use on 29.310 - 29.600 MHz FM with 10kHz channel spacing.

I found this radio on a ham radio rally a while ago.

Current draw at receive is 200mA, and it will be running for several hours each day.

Why now? Yesterday I had a report of US stations and repeaters coming in on 10m FM, from someone on a local channel on 2m. As I want to join the fun on 10m I will have to improve my monitoring capability.

While on the subject of 10m monitoring, today I did get to hear Europe on 28.200. The OH2B beacon signal suddenly appeared.

As I want to be able to better detect 10m openings I will have to add two more frequencies to my monitor system:

- 28.074 MHz for FT8 reception

- 27.555 MHz. This frequency is used as an international calling frequency for CBers, and can be used as a slightly early warning for 10m propagation.

Initially I should probably locate my old HF3 receivers and some power connectors/cables. Even if they are not very sensitive, with a bit of preamplification they should serve as receivers on those two frequencies. With current draw of about 130mA the 10m monitor system is getting a bit power hungry. 

I may have to try building some very simple equipment for this. I have seen some good ideas. Building does take time, though.

No comments: