2022-03-28

Solar Flare Observed Today.

 Around 1135 UTC today I observed a radio burst of noise on 14MHz. Going to 28MHz it was there, too.

I tuned into the GOES X-ray observations, and could follow the X-ray flare rising to a peak of M4.0 at 1139 UTC.

This is the first time in this solar cycle that I could follow a flare rising to a peak. I was just sitting in my living room when I heard the noise burst(s), so yes, it is a good idea to have a radio receiver running in the 14 - 30MHz range, just for that. I may build a simple DCRX with an audio amplifier, and maybe a visual monitoring (graph) for observing radio solar bursts. Preferably in a range with no other terrestrial signals (or noise from electronic devices). Oh, bother. Too many projects already ;)

This flare originated in sunspot group (AR) 2975 near the center of the solar disk. Looking at the movies this could be a full halo, earth directed, CME. Is there aurora in our near future? (the next few days).


No comments: