2020-11-04

Getting QRV on 472kHz?

 I looked up how to get on 472 kHz with a minimum of effort.

Looking at 472khz.org I saw them claim that the IC-7300 and the IC-7100 could be used if they had been modified for TX in the full range. I tested my two TRXs with a dummy load, and this is what I found:

The 7300, however, shows an extremely high SWR when connected to a dummy load (filter in-line? - maybe the cable). I would not use that one.

The 7100 seems to run fine up to 50W, showing SWR of close to 1:1. In order to protect the PA ferrite cores. However, I would probably run lower power (e.g. 10W or less) and add an amplifier if I want to run higher power.

Also, I looked at the option for simple CW TXs for the 2 bands:

136kHz: A (ceramic resonator) VXO using a 5500kHz ceramic resonator should be able to cover the full 136kHz band using a divide by 40. 74AC74 and 4017 should provide a clean square-wave.

472kHz:

- a XO of 14296, 14300 or 14318kHz with a division by 30x (/3 then /10) can provide an in-band signal. 2x 4017 should work nicely and provide a clean square-wave.

 - a VXO on 7160 (with a crystal or a ceramic resonator) should provide a few kHz coverage in the band, with a division by 15 (/5 then /3) A good (LP) filter will be needed to generate a clean signal.

- maybe a VXO with a 480kHz ceramic resonator, generating a signal directly on the frequency. I should probably beware of feedback, maybe causing some chirp. 

It will probably take a while to get a decent station up and running, but I think I should be able to make a very local QSO (a few km or so). Even if the radio can generate a TX signal, there is still the question of making a decent antenna. For a first experiment a long piece of wire and a match box might be sufficient, we shall see.

No comments: