2019-03-12

Receiving OSCAR 100, Stage 2: External Reference.

A few days ago I made the simplest possible modification for external reference of a LNB. The LNB was a Twin type with two independent outputs. It was purchased with a local low cost dealer, and turned out to be a PLL type, suitable for modification. They also have a single PLL LNB, of which I purchased a few, just for experimentation (I said they were cheap).
The 2 port LNB modification is done by sacrificing one of the outputs for use as a reference frequency input. This eliminates some SMD soldering. Here is the process:
1) The crystal was removed after looking with an oscilloscope which side was the reference input for the PLL IC.
2) The port nearest the input was disconnected from the output circuits by cutting the PCB tracks
3) The input of the PLL IC had a connection to ground with a capacitor. PCB track to that one was cut, too.
4) A relatively large (1006) SMD capacitor of 220pF or so was soldered directly from the (now) input terminal to the soldering pad for the crystal. Not very pretty, but it works nicely.

That's it ! (pictures will follow.)

Testing this with a signal generator from a transceiver test set failed miserably. I could not find the signal in SSB mode, so initially I thought I had destroyed the LNB.
Testing the signal generator with a SSB receiver on 25MHZ revealed the problem: The 25MHz signal had audible small frequency variations, sounding like something between a warble and a rumble. Multiplied by about 400 this made the SSB signal extremely hard to find, but with the receiver in wideband FM mode, I found it. The LNB was OK.

Now for building, in the simplest possible way, a 25MHz oscillator stable enough to receive signals. I found in my drawers a canned crystal oscillator marked 25.000 00 MHz, and soldered the circuit, including a 7805 voltage regulator and some decoupling capacitors (ceramic and electrolytic), all mouned in an old (used) die cast box with BNC connector and a feed-through capacitor, used for reference frequency output and supply voltage, respectively.
Everything connected, and voila! Test signal received.
Getting the LNB out to the dish, and - here we go. After settling in for a few hours, the OSCAR 100 beacon was about 15 kHz high on my receiver, corresponding to the 25MHz oscillator being about 40Hz too low, but with a clear tone, if drifting a bit. It settled quite nicely in the evening. What a relief having a more stable reception. Stable SSB signals were readable without re-tuning for longer than 5 minutes.

The result is quite satisfying, and should be quite useable for normal SSB/CW contacts via the satellite.
Opening the window next morning got the reference drifting down 5-10Hz, moving the LNB output signals a few kHz upwards.
I decided that it was foam insulation time. I found a piece with a cut-out almost fitting the die cast box I use. I had to make a small cut-out of a 1cm wall and for the cables (power ans 25MHz out), and a piece of flat foam to make contact. Simply taped them together with - yes, you probably guessed - duct tape. The frequency slowly settling, interesting to see where it ends up. 
The oscillator frequency was slowly drifting upwards, even with the window open, bringing the reference closer to the wanted frequency of 25 000.000kHz.
There seems to be just a bit of heat generated in the box, and I hope it would stabilize.
I will wait a few hours to see how it settles.
The LO seemed to settle around 8 - 9kHz too low on 10GHz.
This morning the offset had increased a bit, to just above 9kHz. Opening the window appears to increase that to about 10kHz. Much better than without the insulation.

I think I will try with some resistive heating inside the box, to see if I can bring the frequency closer to the wanted one. A bit of experimentation is probably necessary.
Very usable, but I will probably try to mount a, say 220ohm, heating resistor to see if I can get closer to the wanted LO.
Could be fun to get within 1 - 2kHz of the wanted frequency most of the time.

Long term I will have to make a better reference frequency generator (probably GPS disciplined or a Rubidium standard), but this will have to do for now.

Time to think about up-link transmit capability. Probably from 432/439MHz, because it is easier to filter out the image frequency. I have some of the stuff, and more is on the way from China.

No comments: