2018-11-06

Update : 2m Horizontal

I went up to check the antenna system.
It looks like the cables to the preamplifier and between the preamp and antenna are fine, leaving a fault in the antenna.
I suspect corrosion in the antenna itself, and the fact that the construction of the Big Wheel antenna is not particularly water proof.
The "VSWR" at the radio shack shows just under 2:1, so I think that I will leave the antenna up for the winter, and just use the PA with reduced power into the system for the time being.

This is, of course, not ideal, but I am not going to take he system down right now, just before the winter with its super antenna weather (You know, rain, snow, ice, wind etc).

It is a compromise, I know, but better than having no antenna at all during the winter season. After all, I did hear English stations with this system last night, so it is functioning, after a fashion.

Come spring, a small beam with a rotator is in the planning.

No comments: