2023-12-01

Openings on 50MHz.

 Occasionally I have seen DX openings on 50MHx this year. 

As my monitor antenna is very low, and only a half wave vertical, it is limited what I see

Mostly in the autumn I have seen openings to Southern Africa, Like ZS. This could be F2, if it happened in the middle of the day. If it is late afternoon, or in the evening, in my opinion it must be trans equatorial propagation (TEP), extended by something else, like sporadic E from here to the Mediterranean Sea.

Very occasionally, with solar flux above the 170 mark, I have seen one or two stations in the Caribbean or Central America. Just one or two FT8 spots from my monitor receiver.

Today was different. I spotted Florida, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and Bonaire, with the very poor antenna. I could see others in Northern Europe working far more stations than those. 

I think it is time to get my IC-7300 up and running with FT8 again.


No comments: