2023-03-06

10m FM Monitor. Quick Repair.

 My 10m FM monitor (modified old CB transceiver) lost its audio out a few days ago.

I waited starting the repair until I had some of the 23cm equipment better tested. As that has now happened I took the rig up to the lab and made a quick test.

Most of the receiver looked like it was working, as the S-meter acted normally, so the fault seemed to be in the audio output system.

Sure enough, when I had the rig open and rocked the output electrolytic capacitor the audio speaker went on and off. 

Looking at the bottom of the TRX it looked like there was a dry solder point. I re-soldered the capacitor and the wire going to the speaker/jack, and all sounds normal.

It is possible that the electrolytic capacitor has gone bad. If that turns out to be the case, the fault is a known one, and I may change all the electrolytic capacitors in the TRX.

The TRX is a nice addition to the 10m monitoring, as signals will sometimes come through when nothing else is heard by casual monitoring, or even systematic monitoring on fixed frequencies.

No comments: