2023-02-12

Second Test on 23cm FM.

At yesterday's test it turned out that the antenna at the other end was not well connected. He got that tested and fixed today

Today's test was with a small improvement from my side, too.

I mounted the X5000 antenna on top of a 4m long mast, with 5m of cable, so today's test was still an outdoor expedition in the garden. On my end of the cable I again used the ancient Standard C710 transceiver. I was just holding the mast/antenna for this experiment, so the antenna moved a bit during the test.

The output power of the C710 is just 300mW on 23cm (1W on 2m/70cm). Distance is about 6km.

This time I heard the signal immediately, at best with a signal of about S5 with his 10W. When I replied I got a report with some fading (according to the antenna position), up to S3. Not bad with just 200-250mW at the antenna.

I hereby consider this a successful test.

I intend to make some more tests with the equipment portable. Find a relatively his spot, and repeat the experiment with just the built-in antenna of the transceiver. Line of sight should not be too difficult, even with 300mW. A test with a small external antenna out there should provide some QSOs

In any case I have made the first 23cm QSO as OZ9QV in more than 30 years.

Now comes the building of the home station and antenna. I do have something to work with.

The IC910 will likely be the main station with a horizontal antenna. The TM741 does FM only, and could be used with the vertical. I have an old transverter that should be tested, and possibly be used for portable work. Yes, I have collected a bit of stuff over the time.

As I have long cables, I expect to use receive preamplifiers as a first improvement, then later some power amplification near the antennas. I have no plans for making big antennas for day-to-day work and a bit of DX, but I stick to the saying that a small antenna is a lot better than no antenna at all.

No comments: