2023-01-31

AR8600 Filters and Add-on.

As mentioned earlier, the AR8600 receiver originally has a poor SSB filter. 

I do have an old Mk1 and a newer Mk2, and the filters are different. Also, the Mk1 stops at 2040MHz, and the Mk2 continues up to 3GHz, so it is useful for reception on 2400MHz, too. 

I suspect that a preamplifier will be needed for those high frequencies. I can find one, or use a module I have for that.

I made a search on Ebay after looking at a video on updating the receiver.

I did locate one SSB filter suitable filter, and ordered it from Japan. This is an 8-pole Collins SSB filter that should be much better that the original Murata filter in the receiver. The post mentions the AR8600, so I hope that the filter fits in the PCB. I am hoping to receive the filter some time in February.

The filter I ordered looks like a fit for the Mk2, and that suits me fine, as the Mk2 has the wider frequency range.

I suspect that I will have to find an alignment procedure for the AR8600s, as there seems to be some misalignment, at least in the Mk1 I have used until now.

I do have an AR7030, too, and I also ordered a 500Hz CW filter suitable for that one.

When I look into my crystal ball I see some upgrade activity in my future ;)

An added Idea Box entry:

The other part is the audio output of the AR8600. The built-in speaker is very small and not very loud. So I am thinking (ouch! ;) ) of building myself a new audio device with an external audio amplifier, possibly with an equalizer circuit (I have PCB a module for that), and an audio CW filter.

I do have a stereo amplifier suitable for use with at least two radios. With a little mixing trickery that could easily become 3 radios simultaneously, one in the left channel one in the right, and the last one in the middle. With an external switch box (that I already have) more radios could be added to the external audio system, albeit not all radios simultaneously.

No comments: