2021-05-17

Week End Activity, P.3: Loop on Ground Receive Antenna Experiment.

 The loop antenna adventure continues.

This time I revised the Loop on Ground (LoG) setup.

Some time ago I tried out a LoG made with field telephone cable. This cable is mostly made of steel wires, but with a few strands of tinned copper wire, in a 4x5m configuration. Probably not the best material for antennas, and the results were disappointing, and the experiment was halted. Now it continues.

After cutting the grass (first time this year, so it took some effort) I found some thin wire to lay down. It may be replaced with weatherproof wire later, but I got to test the system, this time the wire is a bit longer, the configuration is about 5x8m, so the highest band expected to work properly is 30m. I use pegs to hold down the wire, the type used to hold wires for robotic lawn mowers.

The box with the transformer had to be repaired, too, one of the transformer wires had disconnected since I last made the experiment.

I am testing with the IC-7600. Here are the first test results:

Initially the noise level all over the bands was poor, but winding part of the cable a round a ferrite rod near the radio improved that. A better common mode choke is desirable. Now I need even more ferrite (toroids and other stuff) for reducing RFI all over the house.

MW/LW sounds quite noisy and with low S/N reception. Not as good as the small NCPL (w/amplifier at the radio), and certainly not as good as the Mini-Whip.

160m sounds OK-ish with no preamp, not spectacular

80m sounds good, signals weaker than on the low hanging dipole, but noise lower, too. Almost equal, but I suspect that the 

60m sounds good, not spectacular, looks like it is a bit noisier than the dipole (using Shannon Volmet and FT8 as test signals), but then again, the dipole is not resonant on 60m.

40m weaker than the dipole, but sounds quite good. Comparable S/N.

30m looks quite sensitive, no resonant antenna to compare with yet, but it sounds like a decent receive antenna

20m: Looks like S/N is worse than the R6000. No surprise, as the Loop on Ground is too large for 20m

I suspect that the best band for this antenna will be 80m. 40/60/160 are probably OK with a better set of common mode chokes at antenna and radio.

On all the bands the noise floor of the receiver increased when the antenna was connected, so the IC-7600 receiver is sufficiently sensitive on all the bands I intend to use it for. It should also prove a decent receive antenna for use from 1.6 - 12MHz. I think I shall keep it and probably replace the wire, then get it closer to the ground, maybe a few cm under ground level. With some weatherproofing this should prove an interesting low band receive antenna in the winter season.

2 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

I've been thinking about this antenna quite a few times. Some people do think it is a miracle RX antenna with excellent results. I'm not shure about that reading your post. I'm now thinking about a rotatable loop. That way I can null out any noise and/or QRM/QRN. 73, Bas

Jan, OZ9QV said...

Hoi Bas,
They do not perform miracles, unless you have a lot of noise with your TX antennas. Mine is a bit above the ground in places, just for the first test, but when I find some better suited wire I intend to get the LoG just under ground level.
I have been looking at other people's results, too, and some have what sounds like excellent results, others do not impress me.
My intention is to use 4 different RX antennas:
- The LoG, as described above
- a small NCPL with a simple rotator and some amplification
- a larger NCPL, also rotated for lower frequencies
- a PA0RDT type Mini-Whip
All have their advantages and disadvantages, but that could optimize my reception quality.
Oh, boy, I need to make some distribution amplifiers (I will be using several RXs) and switches/preselector circuits. More on that sort of stuff later.
As you can see, I am not going to run out of projects any time soon ;)
73 and BCNU, Jan