2019-11-04

Idea: How To Get Stackable Antenna Masts Up and Down.

For a while I have been using stackable (up to 1.5m long) pipes for some of my antennas.

Getting those up and down has been a bit of a pain, needing at least 2 people to get the antennas erected.
I think that I now have an idea for reducing the man power needed:

When lowering antennas (e.g. verticals) for maintenance 2 people will be ideal, but a system with a pulley might work for one person, at leat in calm weather:

- Clamp a 3-4m long support pipe parallel with the mast
- Elevate the mast enough and fasten to the pipe
- Now the lowest of the stack can be removed and the mast be lowered further
- repeat as needed for maintenance
- fix the mast to the support pipe

For elevating the antenna again, use the reverse order.

As I see it, it works a bit like when using a telescopic mast. Not quite but close enough, and maybe  with a bit more work. The main point for me is that the will be no need for a big(ish) team for antenna work.

Right now I cannot see any serious weakness in the idea. If you see one, please tell me in the comment section.

No comments: