2019-06-15

10GHz Reception: Update

The rain scatter seems to be gone for now, but it looks like reception of the OZ9GHZ beacon is still possible with the dish pointing at about 25 degrees elevation.
At least, I hear it now, weak, with a tropo scatter-like signal with an occasional short burst of an increased signal. I am not sure what the burst was, but I suspect a plane reflection is the most likely explanation, given the high elevation of the beam.
I am aware that the reception mentioned above may not be completely reliable, but time will tell, at least I have some new monitoring to try out.

Because the main use for this dish is reception of the  QO-100 downlink I did make a system capable of using a signal splitter, so more receivers, e.g. a SDR, can be connected to the same LNB.

I am thinking of adding 3 SDRs:
- one for monitoring QO-100
- one for monitoring the 10GHz beacon band (10368.800 - 10369.000)
- one for monitoring the low band where most of the narrow band activity is expected to take place (10368.000 - 10368.250)

A set of 3 Raspberry Pi 3+s with RTL-SDR should be sufficient for this kind of monitoring. Later on, I may try to mount a modest receiving setup with a smaller antenna - maybe even just the LNB with is feed horn, or a system with a higher gain horn, just to see what I can hear with that system. This should preferably happen before the end of summer, and the rain scatter season, but given other projects it may have to wait. After all, setting up GNU Radio is not for the faint of heart, as I understand it.

There is more than enough room for more technical-scientific experimentation.

No comments: