2019-02-20

Unfinished business ;)

Yes, I know.
I have a ton of project ideas. Not many of them will come to fruition. However, I intend to use this blog as a notebook to myself about ideas for building amateur radio projects.
Maybe someone else can use some of the ideas.

Today's project ideas are all about using low cost TV LNBs and older MMDS (yes, I have a few of those, too) converters for different ham projects. For example :
-LNBs for narrow band reception. Yes, the satellite downlink is one of those, but with a relatively stabilized LNB I should try to receive a terrestrial beacon located about 30 - 40km from my location.
First test should be with the LNB on its own, i.e. without a dish. I do not expect to be able to hear it, but it is worth a try.
-Simple 2400MHz converter with the MMDS converter. I should probably "adjust" the filter and the local oscillator in the converter, i.e. shorten the resonators in one of the internal filters.
-Using the filter and the amplifier in the MMDS converter as part of the 2400 MHz transmit converter. Same applies with respect to the "adjustment" of the filter.
-Using the MMDS close to its intended receive ranges, monitoring solar noise around 2700 - 2800 MHz. Since solar noise is broadband, there is no need to adjust the PLL in the converter

More than enough to try, just in this frequency range, and that is just a few ideas. The above ideas could take quite some time, anyway. As I said above, too many ideas, not enough time...

Update : The MMDS converters have "disappeared" in the mess of a large removal, it may be a while before I find them.

No comments: